The day before her birthday (after a week or so of my questions), Honey finally specified her preferred birthday cake. It was her childhood favourite so I phoned my mother in law to learn how to make it. After work on her birthday yesterday, I set to baking.
1. Make sure that Honey lodges her request with ample time to purchase the materials and create the cake before 10pm on the evening of her birthday.
2. Start the cake the day before it will be consumed- it takes a while for the cake to cool and for the chocolate to set!
3. Make the colours as saturated as I did, it was perfect. Perhaps except for the yellow since it just looked like cake!
4. Do not use a pyrex dish.
5. Even though the knife comes out perfectly clean, the cake may not have a fluffy and light consistency.
6. About 275g (just under three bars) of chocolate was perfect for a half-batch of cake.
6. It was a good move putting the candle in before the chocolate set.
7. It should be a new tradition to make the recipient guess the colours used before cutting the cake.
8. Even if Honey says it looks like a cow pat, her glistening eyes tell a different story.